Financial Services
Chief Financial Officer Finacial Services GIS/Map Search Property Search Sales Search





In accordance with H. B. 562, effective January 2009, the Ohio Department of Taxation began mandatory electronically filing of sales tax returns. It states that each person who has or is required to have a vendor’s license shall make and file a return using electronic means. The primary system of use is the Ohio Business Gateway (OBG) and secondary is the Ohio TeleFile system.


As vendors are required to file returns electronically, we strongly recommend that you apply for the vendor account electronically through OBG. This will prepare you for filing by having the OBG registration process completed, and filing of the return will be limited to a log-in and completion of the return.


Please use the link below to obtain your vendor’s account immediately through the OBG.


If you require assistance, the following link will provide a Self Help eLibrary with video tutorials, including “register to Use OBG” and “Sales Tax Registration.”


*Note: The processing of a paper application may take up to six weeks. If you wish to complete the application through the mail, please use the link below to obtain a copy of the paper application for the appropriate account type.




Vendor’s Licenses (County and Transient) can be obtained online by going to Select create an account. The OBG(Ohio Business Gateway)  website is also where you go to pay the sales tax. If you have questions while on the OBG website they can be reached at 1-866-644-6468.

Who is required to obtain a Vendor’s License?

There are two different types of vendor’s licenses: Retail vendor and Transient. A Retail (County) Vendor’s License is required for selling taxable goods at a fixed location of business. A Transient Vendor’s License is for the sale of goods at various shows and markets throughout the State of Ohio. These licenses are used for the collection of state sales tax.

What to do first.

Determining ownership structure is the first step in starting a business.  Many business owners jump right in and realize they should have decided legal structure first.  If you are using a business name, you should check the availability with the Secretary of State, and check to see if you should register it with them.  For new businesses you should visit the Secretary of State, Starting a Business at This will give you helpful information on what steps you should do to start a business in Ohio.  You should also check with your local County, Township or City Zoning Department to see if you may transact a business from the desired address.

Where do I get a Vendor’s License?

If you choose not to get the county vendor’s license via the OBG, you can mail the completed ST 1 along with a check or money order for $25, or bring your completed ST1 to the Crawford County Auditor’s Office. Registration is still required via the OBG website for the payment of the sales tax collected.

For more information, check out the Ohio Department of Taxation website.

The freely available Adobe Acrobat Reader and Flash Player are required to view some pages and to view and print PDF files (forms)
112 E. Mansfield St., Suite 105 - Bucyrus, OH 44820 - Phone: (419) 562-7941 - Fax: (419) 562-2139
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Home Contact Us Email